how to be *nix programmer

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Jan 16 13:45:06 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 03:48:47PM -0500, Radheshyam Bhatt wrote:

> Hello  People,
>

>                How's it going?    I am interested in to developing drivers
> for FreeBSD.   How do I go about start learning program for that?  What
> books & resources I should look in to.   I know C, and I am learning about
> processes, and system calls.   Also where would I take my questions to if I
> don't get something and need help for something in system's programming...
> Please email me back..

Learning C and probably C++ and maybe some Assembly is good.

After that, you might want to absorb the McKusic books: 'Design and
Implementaiton of the (4.3 and) 4.4 BSD Operating System.

There is also some online documentation on writing drivers.  I don't have
the address at hand, but a little searching on the FreeBSD web site
should turn it up.

////jerry