RAID mirror really worked

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Sun Jan 13 18:24:07 PST 2008

This isn't really a question, just a testimonial and a thank you to the
people who make this work.

I've got a Promise TX2300 SATA Raid controller that I use on my FreeBSD
fileserver at home.  It uses ataraid.  I've set up a simple two-drive
mirror.  One of the drives has been sending me intermittent failure
messages in the nightly emails for nearly a year - no more than one or two
a month.  Last night it finally croaked.  The mirror broke, but it went
into "degraded" mode and kept right on chugging along with no service
interruption.
Today I took down the system, replaced the bad drive, rebuilt the array
using Promise's BIOS tools (since that's how I built it originally), and
everything is back to normal.

This was my first real drive failure with an inexpensive RAID card, and
I'd always wondered if they could ease the pain of a hard drive failure.
It looks like they can.

I should add that before this, on another system, I had a RAID controller
failure.  A controller failure is a completely different scenario...