Postfix with Cyrus SASL

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Jan 10 14:09:54 PST 2008

--On Thursday, January 10, 2008 15:46:33 -0600 Shawn Barnhart
<swb at grasslake.net> wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> It should, because it calls this:
>>
>> .if defined(WITH_SASL2)
>> LIB_DEPENDS+=           sasl2.2:${PORTSDIR}/security/cyrus-sasl2
>> POSTFIX_CCARGS+=        -DUSE_SASL_AUTH -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL
>> -I${LOCALBASE}/include -I${LOCALBASE}/include/sasl
>> POSTFIX_AUXLIBS+=       -L${LOCALBASE}/lib -lsasl2 -lpam -lcrypt
>> .endif
>>
>> Yes, you need to install saslauthd, however, if you checked the OPTION
>> when you installed Postfix, it's most likely already installed.  You
>> *also* need to enable saslauthd in /etc/rc.conf:
>>
>> [root at mail /usr/ports/mail/postfix]# grep sasl /etc/rc.conf
>> saslauthd_enable="YES"
>> saslauthd_flags=" -a pam -n 2"
>>
>> (This uses /etc/passwd through pam, btw.)
>>
>> Look at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/saslauthd.sh for the options and flags
>> available or read man (8) saslauthd.
>>

> Either I'm totally fubar, or the ports snapshot I have is braindead as I did
> select the SASL option when I built postfix and I have sasl libs in
> /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib/sasl2 but none of the other sasl components
> are installed.  No saslauthd in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, no manpage, just
> libraries mentioned above, and my postfix smtpd does appear to have a sasl
> library run-time dependency per ldd.
>
> Is the better fix to manually re-install the same Cyrus sasl port or
> deinstall both it and postfix and rebuild postfix with the sasl option and
> hope I get a complete build?

If Postfix is working as you expect (except for auth of course), I would just
force the reinstall of sasl (or deinstall and reinstall if that's your
preferred method.)

Saslauthd is installed in /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd, btw.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst