Postfix with Cyrus SASL

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Jan 10 12:06:58 PST 2008

--On Thursday, January 10, 2008 13:44:23 -0600 Shawn Barnhart
<swb at grasslake.net> wrote:

> Michal F. Hanula wrote:
>> Your postfix is trying to use saslauthd, which usually listens on
>> /var/run/saslauthd/mux. The right way to fix this depends on whether
>> you want to use saslauthd and the place you store your e-mail user data.
>>
> I want authentication against /etc/passwd (ultimately), not using sasldb2.db.
>
> There is no /var/run/saslauthd/mux, and saslauthd doesn't appear installed --
> I'm getting the impression that selecting "Cyrus-SASL" in the make config
> dialog box for the Postfix port doesn't completely install cyrus-sasl
> components.

It should, because it calls this:

.if defined(WITH_SASL2)
LIB_DEPENDS+=           sasl2.2:${PORTSDIR}/security/cyrus-sasl2
POSTFIX_CCARGS+=        -DUSE_SASL_AUTH -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL -I${LOCALBASE}/include
-I${LOCALBASE}/include/sasl
POSTFIX_AUXLIBS+=       -L${LOCALBASE}/lib -lsasl2 -lpam -lcrypt
.endif

> I'm guessing the solution is to completely install the cyrus-sasl2 port to
> enable the use of saslauthd.  Yes?  Or am I way off?

Yes, you need to install saslauthd, however, if you checked the OPTION when you
installed Postfix, it's most likely already installed.  You *also* need to
enable saslauthd in /etc/rc.conf:

[root at mail /usr/ports/mail/postfix]# grep sasl /etc/rc.conf
saslauthd_enable="YES"
saslauthd_flags=" -a pam -n 2"

(This uses /etc/passwd through pam, btw.)

Look at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/saslauthd.sh for the options and flags available or
read man (8) saslauthd.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst