Frequent DHCP requests from Wii

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Jan 9 11:16:24 PST 2008

Quoting Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org>:

> This is particularly a FreeBSD question, but finding that there isn't
>  a newsgroup for DHCP (and I am running dhcpd on FreeBSD), I'll ask
> here.
>
> We've got a Wii in the house, and I've got an entry for it in my  dhcpd.conf
>
>  host wii { hardware ethernet 00:19:1d:dd:66:d3; fixed-address
> wii.ewd.goldmark.org; }
>
> which correctly resolves to 10.1.10.145
>
> And everything works fine.  However, the Wii keeps on making requests
>  every few minutes.  Here is a bit of the dhcpd logs.  The requests
> come at irregular 1, 2, 5, and 9 minute intervals in this bit of the
> log.
>
> Jan  9 11:59:08 kreacher dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.1.10.145 from
> 00:19:1d:dd:66:d3 via em0
> Jan  9 11:59:08 kreacher dhcpd: DHCPACK on 10.1.10.145 to
> 00:19:1d:dd: 66:d3 via em0

[additional log entries snipped]

Was there a question in there somewhere? :)

You could try putting a long-ish default-lease-time statement in your
subnet clause in dhcpd.conf. See also the max-lease-time and
min-lease-time statments in dhcpd.conf(5).

If you have those already and the Wii isn't respecting them then that's
an issue to take up with Nintendo. You could also consider setting the
IP on the Wii statically (not sure if that's supported or if you move
it around to different networks at all) or trying to adjust dhcpd's
logging if that's all that's bothering you...

JN