Asterisk-addons FreeBSD 7.0 :(

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 01:58:43 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:11:40AM -0600, David Alanis wrote:

> Good Day:
>
> I just recently converted to FreeBSD and convinced my highly religious
> (Gentoo) friend over as well. However, the ride has not been as smooth
> as I would have liked. To make this story short, here is my late
> Christmas wish-list regarding the lack-of documentation on the
> installation of packages on FreeBSD.

Welcome to FreeBSD! And good work on the evangelisation :)

All the documentation you need is in the handbook:

http://www..freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

If it's not in the handbook, it's in the comprehensive manpages.

If you decide to use ports (which you probably will coming from
Gentoo) then you want to read /usr/ports/UPDATING after you've
updated your ports tree with csup(1) and before you build a port.
UPDATING tells you of any gotchas you should be aware of before
building.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

> Ah yeah, and in the process, I am
> hoping to get help, pointers, or some type of recognition for
> converting to the wonderful world of BSD! Please note, part of the
> wish list comes with a bit of a Gentoo Linux bias having make.conf,
> package.use, package.keywords, along with the USE="" flags so readily
> available.

Your best bet to acquaint yourself with the system is reading the
handbook and asking questions here when you run into problems.

Forget your Gentoo biases, while it's similar in that you build from
source the process is quite different and requires less user
interaction. E.g If you want to fiddle with various knobs on some
piece of software (e.g apache) you will be presented with a curses
interface at the start of the build process where you set the knobs
you want.

> Wish-list
>
> 1.) Documentation about customization optimization-flags/configure
> options (including which system files/location/make.conf may need to
> be edited???? when building packages from ports (we did discover
> portconf, but is this it?)

As I mentioned before, any configuration you may want to do is
presented to you when you build the port although there are clever
options you can use but as a beginner you're unlikely to want to use
them yet.

There's an example make.conf at /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
which shows you what switches you can put in /etc/make.conf (the one
that is parsed) and the manpage also tells you all about it.

You'll find though that your make.conf is fairly small.

A lot of people use portupgrade or portmaster to build and keep their
ports in order.

My choice is portupgrade.

I don't use portconf (nor do many others (I think) although it might
be a useful tool - I don't know)

Most use pkgtools.conf(5) to do fancy things; those that do fancy
things with their ports. As a rule of thumb it's usually unnecessary.

But the pkgtools are useful. Start with pkg_info(1) and read on from
there. Most work with ports too.

One file you will have to edit is rc.conf(5)

> 2.) We are also big into VoIP and just realized that FreeBSD 7.0 will
> not build asterisk-addons on our home/production servers. So after
> losing a ton of sleep we are now having to revert back to FreeBSD 6.2.
> In short, can anyone fill us in to which FreeBSD distribution is
> "known" to work splendid with the asterisk family?

In future when you have a port that wont build, post here & tell us
how you tried to build it. It should be as simple as:

# cd /usr/ports/net/asterisk-addons
# make install clean

If it fails, cut and paste the output where it fails and post it here.

FreeBSD 7.0 and 6.3 are in the final stages of being released so there
could still be some bugs but very few in the base system. The ports
are another matter but most should build.

Don't revert back to 6.2, it's probable that somebody knowledgeable
here can help you build your asterix bits given some debugging info.

If it can't be fixed on 7.0 you want to go back to RELENG_6_3 (cvs
tag) anyway since it's so close to release.

> Thank you for your time,

No worries.

> FreeBSD rocks!

Yeah :)