Install order?

David Reedy Jr davidrjr at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 21:03:06 PST 2008

Hello all,

I'm very new to FreeBSD, just installed it for the first time maybe a
week ago. I've redone it several times since, so feel comfortable in the
VERY basics. I've got things like ntp, ftp, and ssh configured, no
problem. Not worried about mail.

I'm setting this machine up as a local internet test server. I need to
get Apache, MySQL and PHP installed, and I'm worried if there's a
preferred /required order to get it to work right / at all. FWIW - I've
checked the handbook, apache.org, php.net, and mysql.com. I keep feel
like I'm going round in circles.

Also, I've noticed that some of the port versions on this site are a
little newer that in my 6.2 release. Will I have problems installing
these instead?

Thanks in advance.

Dave