Paging Matthew Seaman

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Jan 4 10:03:52 PST 2008

--On Friday, January 04, 2008 17:18:51 +0000 Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> I figure if anyone knows the answer to this off the top of their head,
>> Matthew will.
>
> Fame at last!

Oh, you've been famous for a while here.  :-)

>> I've been reading the man pages for du and df, but I can't find the
>> right combination.  I'd like to get the type of output that df -h gives
>> you but only for one mount point or even one directory.  Is there a tool
>> that can do that? (IOW, I'd like to run du -h but only get the totals
>> for directories.)
>
> Well, for a mount point, the command that will give you output like
> 'df -h' for a specific partition is (*ta da*) 'df -h' -- tell it a
> file or directory and it will tell you all about the partition that
> lives on:
>
> % df -h /tmp
> Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/md0      248M     22K    228M     0%    /tmp

This only returns the totals for mount points, however.  Not what I was looking
for.

> For an arbitrary directory, I assume you want the du(1) style total
> space usage figures but in the 'human readable' style?  'du -hs' does
> that if you tell it the directory name:
>
> % du -hs /tmp
>  22K    /tmp

You are more adept at understanding man pages than I.  I didn't "get" the -s
switch.  However, it only returns the single file or directory that I specify.
It's closer to what I wanted than df but not quite there.

> As others have suggested else thread, there are a variety of cunning
> find + xargs combinations for generating a list of directories and
> feeding the list into du(1) automatically.

Yes, and I've concluded that's probably the only way I'm going to get what I
want.

> But all this seems to me to be pretty clearly explained in the du(1)
> and df(1) man pages so I've probably completely misunderstood what you
> are actually asking for.

Nope.  You understood.

Thanks to everyone that responded.  I'll tweak the suggestions until I get what
I want or some near equivalent of it.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst