Remote control for a multimedia computer

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:50:38 PST 2008

I've been using the computer in my bedroom for watching movies more
often lately, and getting out of bed to pause, rewind, and handle
volume has gotten more and more annoying.  I don't need anything very
fancy, but I don't want to do something like use a wireless game
controller.  I'm not sure about using a wireless keyboard due to size
and connectivity, since I imagine the keyboard would also have to be
the primary keyboard which would make connectivity annoying with a
console.  I'd prefer something other than an IR solution due to line of
sight issues.  Considering how many people are using their computer for
home entertainment, I'm surprised at the lack of options.  Does anyone
on the list know of a good remote that works well with FreeBSD?  Or
would it be more of an issue of a remote receiver?  In any case, what
would be the best option?  I'm not interested in spending too much
money(anything capable of running NetBSD is probably out of the
question).