FreeBSD bind performance in FreeBSD 7

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Feb 29 16:51:27 UTC 2008

At 10:44 AM 2/29/2008, Chris wrote:

>A weakness of freebsd is its fussyness over hardware in particular
>network cards, time and time again I see posts here telling people to
>go out buying expensive intel pro 1000 cards just so they can use the
>operating system properly when I think its reasonable to expect
>mainstream hardware to work, eg. realtek is mainstream and common as a

A realtek as in rl (not re) works quite well (as in stable,
predictable performance)-- we buy these for about $5 each from our
supplier and are quite common.  While it would be nice that all
network cards worked as well as the em nics, its an issue that is
easy to work around-- after all, I would rather be limited by my nic
driver choice as opposed to vm and network stack issues which I cant
work around.  Also thankfully, a large chunk of the server MB market
uses em nics.  Yes, bge/bce based nics do seem to perform poorly on
FreeBSD.  Hopefully Broadcom might put similar resources into driver
development as Intel does/has.

         ---Mike