xmodmap not working from xinitrc

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Fri Feb 29 04:07:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Jona Joachim wrote:

> My .xinitrc has an xmodmap tweak to switch the Ctrl and Caps keys. For
> some reason these changes are not applied when I start X, Ctrl is
> still Ctrl and Caps is still Caps. However I have to run xmodmap twice
> when X has started to actually make it work. It seems like the changes
> were applied but somehow not used by X, when I rerun xmodmap it seems
> like it switches the keys back to their original states and when I
> then run it again it finally works.
>
> Here's my .xinitrc:

[snip]

I asked essentially the same question four months ago - see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-October/160815.html
- and received a couple of "me too" responses. Now I get to say "me too"
as well. Still no fix AFAIK.

Anyone?

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]