Freebsd quota & sendmail

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed Feb 27 18:47:56 UTC 2008

At 12:29 PM 2/27/2008, Ofloo wrote:

>I'm putting this under freebsd because there is no forum for sendmail, and it
>does concern freebsd as well.
>
>My problem is this, when i set quota in /var/mail directory to each user and
>this user creates a cronjob, that doesn't forward all data to /dev/null, and
>keeps on generating mail, ..
>
>Well after a while the mail file reaches it's quota and sendmail isn't
>allowed to write to that file anymore, so it will start and fill the mailq,
>..
>
>The point is after a while the whole system will just crash what can I do
>about it, sorry for rambling.

Why are you setting these quotas on /var/mail.  These days with disk so
cheap, why bother?  If you are trying to better control sendmail, you
should exercise the control there.  You can adjust sendmail for maximum
message size, number of messages, etc.  Or if SPAM is the issue use
mailscanner to control how spam is handled.

Adding disk quotas outside of sendmail as you found is not a good approach
as it will bring the system down.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.