FreeBSD 6.2+PHP+700 sites = DNS Issues?

Simon Street ginganutz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:55:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a customer with a cPanel install on 6.2, Apache/2.2.8 with
PHP/5.2.5 (DSO)

The server is having problem with dns resolution:
Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: php_network_getaddresses:
getaddrinfo failed: hostname nor servname provided, or not known in
/snip/support.php on line 2.

This script works fine on the CLI but inside apache it fails.

I've been told by cpanel support that this is a problem with FreeBSD
more than anything and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on
fixes, either sysctl tweaks or otherwise.
cPanel have tried changing FD options on apache but to no avail.

Upgrading to 6.3 is an option if that will fix it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Simon