hardware problem

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 10:59:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:38:09PM -0500, Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:

> hi guys,
>    just take every part out and dust with a brush, reseat the m-board
> and hook on the power supply, switch on the power and both fans spin
> for quite a while, seeing this, I switch it off and start to connect
> all the cables. After all is done, i turn on the power again, and this
> time it stop again after a short spin. and I looked everywhere on the
> board and found some silverish dust on the board, i dust it away, but
> this time, the fans and the LED light on the board never spin or lit
> up when i switch it on, i wonder if something i did kill the power
> this time, any idea?? thank you for your help.
>
> TFC

Having been round the houses with my new build which displayed similar
problems, I would say that what is most likely is that it is a power
supply problem.

There was a shaky attachment somewhere which loosened when you moved
and finally gave up the ghost.

Your best approach, is to get a new power supply or case with power
supply depending on how old your case is.

If that doesn't work, then it's probably your motherboard and unless
your CPU is quite new and you can extract it, you'll probably be
looking at new CPU and RAM also ie. expensive.

If you want to get a new case, then have a look at an Antec Sonata
III. It's quiet, comes with all the bits you need and has USB ports
and e-SATA on the front. Cost me about 75GBP. 500W power supply which
is a bit excessive for my needs though.

Best of luck!

--

 Frank