hardware problem

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 18:50:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:45 PM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 20:38 -0500, Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
>  > hi guys,
>  >    just take every part out and dust with a brush, reseat the m-board
>  > and hook on the power supply, switch on the power and both fans spin
>  > for quite a while, seeing this, I switch it off and start to connect
>  > all the cables. After all is done, i turn on the power again, and this
>  > time it stop again after a short spin. and I looked everywhere on the
>  > board and found some silverish dust on the board, i dust it away, but
>  > this time, the fans and the LED light on the board never spin or lit
>  > up when i switch it on, i wonder if something i did kill the power
>  > this time, any idea?? thank you for your help.
>  >
>  > TFC
>  >

>  Looks like that little bit of dust was making the system still seem like
>  its alive. I'd say its well and truely dead now- what do you reckon
>  guys?
>
>  New M/B and CPU...

You are suggesting to replace the MB and CPU?

By the same logic, if a light bulb burns out, replace the wiring in your house.
That is inappropriate.

Power supplies burn out all the time.  Replace the power supply.
The big clue is when the power supply can't spin it's own fan.
Has nothing to do with the rest of the system.

--Donald