Capturing dmesg upon system crash on 6.3

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Mon Feb 25 17:55:14 UTC 2008

> I'm looking into the syslogd capabilities at the moment, it might be
> enough.
> I've tried following the serial console setup you've pointed, but when I
> added the 'console=3D"comconsole"' to loader.conf the OS hanged during
> boot time, had to re-install the system.

I assume the info you need is not getting captured in /var/log?

Perhaps your system needs a firmware setting changed to use a RS-232 console?

I assume it is not waiting for a control line, e.g. carrier detect, to go high?

Some systems have buggy firmware and still read from the ps2 keyboard
even though they are printing to the RS-232 console.

If all else fails there is the aim a video camera at the screen method.  :-(