Nightmare on FreeBSD Street: NIC Drivers

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Mon Feb 25 08:26:31 UTC 2008

At 20:05 2/24/2008, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:09:06PM -0600, W. D. wrote:
> > Compiled, built kernel, and world per:
> >
> > <http://www.f.csce.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki/software/freebsd-nfe.html>
> >
> > Still getting timeout errors.  Seems like more of them
> > with this "nfe" driver.
> >
> > FreeBSD 6.2, Asus M2NPV-VM, nVidia Ethernet.
> >
> > Can anyone help me debug this problem or suggest a solid,
> > reliable, and compatible PCI NIC to use instead?
> >

>nfe(4) is not part of official release of FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE or
>RELENG_6. I don't have any 6.x box with nfe(4) hardwares so it's
>hard to fix ATM. Would you try nfe(4) on 7.0-RELEASE or HEAD?
>If you still see watchdog timeout errors on 7.0-RELEASE or HEAD
>please let me know.

I don't have time to build a new 7.0 box.  Also, Plesk doesn't
yet support 7.x:
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/plesk/reqs/

I guess I'll just have to plug-in a supported card:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET

Bummer.