automatic fsck on gmirror failure

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Fri Feb 22 17:56:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> gmirror(8) / geom(8) should automatically remove (degrade) components
>> with bad I/O operations after a certain threshold, but I'm pretty sure
>> it doesn't.
>
> but i'm absolutely sure it does because it did several times for me

Finally I had some time to research.  939 of geom_mirror --
kern.geom.mirror.disconnect_on_failure -- It's a newer 6.x thing
apparently:

Behavior is not tunable.  It happens on a single failure.  I ask about
tunable behavior because some cheap IDE (Maxtor) disks can fail, then
recover.

6.3/amd64:

   [root at violenjiger-vm /usr/src-RELENG_6_3]# sysctl -a|grep -i kern.geom.mirror
   kern.geom.mirror.sync_requests: 2
   kern.geom.mirror.disconnect_on_failure: 1
   kern.geom.mirror.idletime: 5
   kern.geom.mirror.timeout: 4
   kern.geom.mirror.debug: 0

But:

  FreeBSD wingspan 5.5-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE-p10 #0: Fri Jan 12

  seklecki at wingspan:/home/seklecki$ sysctl -a|grep -i kern.geom.mirror

  kern.geom.mirror.debug: 0
  kern.geom.mirror.timeout: 0
  kern.geom.mirror.idletime: 5
  kern.geom.mirror.reqs_per_sync: 5