My printer isn't working with freebsd I have a hp laserjet1000

Michael Ross michael.ross at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 00:09:09 UTC 2008

Am 21.02.2008, 23:55 Uhr, schrieb paulfromottawa <paul.belair at rogers.com>:

> My printer isn't working with freebsd I have a hp laserjet1000
>
> "/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"
>
> So I have tried building the kernel without ulpt, and uploader the
> firmware
> but then cups would have local printers selection greyed out.
>
> using boot loader.conf
> to load ulpt corected that but still no test prints worked.

kernel.
Don't do that. You need your printer as a ugen device.

You do have hplip installed? It is in the ports and comes with a
``hp-setup'' program.
Use filter /usr/local/share/ppd/HP/HP-LaserJet_1010-hpijs.ppd.gz

Maybe this helps: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/INSTALL
Look for the section "FREEBSD NOTES". It is about uploading firmware to a
Laserjet 1018.
You probably need to be root to upload.

If your printer is detected by cups, you will still need to replace
/usr/bin/lpr with /usr/local/bin/lpr for your applications to print.

Check out ``hp-toolbox'', too.

HTH

Michael