DJ500 dead after >= 16 years.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Feb 21 19:17:57 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 21:07:40 perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> >  Guys, I need some input about what kind of _new_ printer to buy
> >  for my desktops.  I'd like to hang the printer off my FBSD box;
> >  my Ubuntu platform is probably too far away. At least 3 meters.
>
> A few months ago I got a Samsung ML-2571N for well under $100 at
> Fry's.  It is small, light, fast; has a built-in 10/100 network
> port, handles PostScript, and speaks native lpr (so you don't
> need to bother with CUPS).
>
> I am still on the original 1000-page starter cartridge.  Replacements
> are rated 3000 sheets; I haven't priced them.
>
> That's black only.  The cheapest color-capable networked PostScript
> printer I've found so far is the Xerox 6130N, for which I've been
> quoted $375 including $380 worth of cartridges (C, M, Y, K @ $95 each)
> -- Xerox seems to have some promotional pricing this month.  IIRC the
> color cartridges are rated 1900 sheets and the black 2500.  This one
> is also supposed to handle lpr natively.  While I haven't got one (yet),
> I figure it is almost guaranteed to be good -- Xerox do not make junk.

Great; another printer heard about.    SO far the Brother at <= $200 with 7000
pages at a $30 cartridge sounds better.    I've done mostly the "academic",
plain b&w over the years.   Hm, well, then I have had some papers returned
with feedback marked in blue in OOo.

There is a fancy Brother color printer [on sale] at Costco for like $700. (!)
After my heart was shocked back to life, I double-checked.   I can't imagine
what it does for 700 clams, but don't have room for it here anyway.

Can you use any paper with the laser printers, or does it have to meet a
certain spec?   I heard a severe warning about using junk paper.

Okay, so far, you guys have talked about the Brother and the Samsung.
[[ By default Xerox is a ++quality brand. ]]    I'm looking at the
OpenPrinting site that Predrag mentioned.    Anybody else??   As much of a
computer geek as I've been, I *still* can't stand too much reading online.
That's why I'll quit tearing my hair left out, get a hardcopy and go to some
far corner and just enjoy ink+paper :-)

gary

--
Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix