6.3-STABLE Apache 2.0 uses high CPU when restarted....

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Thu Feb 21 14:57:59 UTC 2008

I recently recomplied the apache20 port (updated) with no compile-time
changes.  Since that time, I noticed it was hogging 98% of the CPU and
hanging.  I adjusted the various Max/Min server levels and that seemed
to fix it - except at midnight when the logs are rotated and the server
is sent a HUP signal.  When that happens, all the processes die except
one and it hangs at 90% CPU.  I kill it off, restart it manually and it
behaves fine.

Here's a recent output of "top" :

 PID USERNAME  THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
94711 www         1 117    0 41036K 13852K RUN    0   1:43 98.69% httpd

The only thing that has changed on the system is an upgrade from
MySQL-4.1 to MySQL-5.1, which I wouldn't expect httpd to be affected by,
but I could be wrong.  To be sure, I recompiled it, PHP and any
dependencies that PHP has, but I'm still seeing the same result.

I tried compiling MySQL-5.1 with and without pthreads and see the same
CPU consumption issue.

I wonder if I've hit a bug or if I've possibly messed something up (as
careful as I've been anyway).

Thanks,

Forrest