Mounting FS read-only for specific user (or root)

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Feb 21 08:45:09 UTC 2008

Andrew Bradford wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a mounted filesystem that is read-write for root,
> but read-only for anyone else.  It will be mounted as a backup
> directory, so files listed in that directory will be owned by current
> users on the system but can't be writeable, regardless of the file
> permissions.
>
> hd2 mounted rw in /root/backup-rw
> hd2 mounted ro in /backups
>
> Is this possible?

Have you tried? ;)

I assume the reasoning for this is you want to preserve permissions and
attributes on your backup, so you can't solve this simply by setting
permissions appropriately.

But then, do users need frequent access to their backup? Then you could
simply mount it on a mount point which only has root access.

Cheers, Erik