DJ500 dead after >= 16 years.

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Thu Feb 21 05:24:42 UTC 2008

>  Guys, I need some input about what kind of _new_ printer to buy
>  for my desktops.  I'd like to hang the printer off my FBSD box;
>  my Ubuntu platform is probably too far away. At least 3 meters.

A few months ago I got a Samsung ML-2571N for well under $100 at
Fry's.  It is small, light, fast; has a built-in 10/100 network
port, handles PostScript, and speaks native lpr (so you don't
need to bother with CUPS).

I am still on the original 1000-page starter cartridge.  Replacements
are rated 3000 sheets; I haven't priced them.

That's black only.  The cheapest color-capable networked PostScript
printer I've found so far is the Xerox 6130N, for which I've been
quoted $375 including $380 worth of cartridges (C, M, Y, K @ $95 each)
-- Xerox seems to have some promotional pricing this month.  IIRC the
color cartridges are rated 1900 sheets and the black 2500.  This one
is also supposed to handle lpr natively.  While I haven't got one (yet),
I figure it is almost guaranteed to be good -- Xerox do not make junk.