Shutdown anomaly

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Wed Feb 20 20:34:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 08:06:36PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Robert Huff wrote:

> >> .pr0o > cess 'syncer' to stop...0 0 done
> >>
> >> It's an interleaved buffer messages on SMP systems. The problem is
> >> known, but I haven't heard of a proposed solution yet.
> >
> >	There is no fix.
> >	The workaround is to increase the size of the kernel printf()
> >buffer.  I don't remember how you do that ... but this is not a new
> >issue - chech the archives for details.
>
> I would like to propose a fix. Care to test it?
>
> Just apply this patch and add the following line to your /etc/rc.conf file.
> shutdown_clean_enable="YES"

I'm not too keen on the fix, as it only pushes the problem under the
carpet just for the sake of nice output on shutdown. There's still
tons of mangled output in the logs (esp. if you run a logging
firewall).

Here's hoping for a kernel-fix sometime in the future.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>