FreeBSD & Linux distro

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Feb 19 15:49:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:13:39PM +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> > > FreeBSD is more a server than a desktop system. Ubuntu particularly is
> > FreeBSD isn't both desktop or server system. it is just unix - it depends
> > from the user how it's being used.
>
> True. But looking at it from a newbie point of view the statement helps
> give it perspective. I have to translate for people all the time and I
> know this works.
>
> We all know that FreeBSD whoops linux's ass, but as to how it does this
> is beyond most newer users. :P

The way you phrased it makes it sound like FreeBSD is simply unsuited to
use as a desktop system.  Contrary to that impression, I'm sending this
from a Thinkpad laptop with FreeBSD on it, and it's by far the best
"desktop" OS I've ever had the pleasure to use.

Thomas McCauley: "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out."