thankee, thankee!

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue Feb 19 14:18:36 UTC 2008

Gary Kline wrote:
> Giorgos, Joe, Paul , and Tim,
>
> Thanks for your insights today, gentlemen.  I began on what may be a very
> worthwhile [ and reasonably small, *thankfully*] program that may benefit
> everybody who reads text online.   Or off, for that matter.   I was using
> a shareware version that kept annoying me to shovel $$$ their way when I
> finally got PO'd enough to do my own version.  The algorithm comes first,
> naturally.  Then the data structs|classes|<whatever>.   ---I do prelim
> coding while I'm planning;  helps me figure things out.
>
> GUI: yes, I will need help with eventually; for now, going back and forth
> from that tts app,  KTTSmgr(?) and the other shareware, I kept improving
> the dickens out of my thesis.    Soooo.... see what happens.  No offense
> to those of us who have hacked out man pages or other docs, but I'm
> pretty sure that using these tools will inddeed help improve the online
> documentation _considerably_.
>

> gary

Before you go down this road too far, you should take a look at Python
as an implementation language. If what you're doing involves text and
string manipulation, Python is loaded with good modules that will make
your task a snap. Having coded extensively in many assemblers, C,
BASIC, ... I now find myself reaching exclusively for Python when
writing applications and utilities unless the task at hand must have
the performance of native C. Try it ... you'll be shocked how fast
your program comes together.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com