FreeBSD 7RC2 and VMware tools

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Mon Feb 18 22:03:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:58:26 -0500, John Nielsen wrote
> On Monday 18 February 2008 01:47:14 pm Dimitri Yioulos wrote:

> > > Try it and see! I think I decided on a hard link since the script
> > > uses something like "if [ -f /lib/libc.so.6 ]" so it's looking only
> > > for a regular file and not a symlink.
> >
> > Hmm, when I try to hard-link ("ln /usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6
> > libc.so.6"), I get "ln: ./libc.so.6: Cross-device link".  But, when I
> > do a symlink, which takes, I get "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared
> > object "ld-linux.so.2" not found, required by "libc.so.6"" when i run
> > vmware-config-tools.pl.  So, I symlink ld-linux.so.2, and run tools.
> > Then, I get "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "__stdoutp"
> > referenced from COPY relocation in /usr/local/sbin/vmware-checkvm".
> > Arrgh.  Any other ideas?
>
> You have /usr on a different partition than / in your VM, so you can't do
> a hard link. I would just copy the file back to /lib and not worry about
> it. Linking in other random libraries will cause problems, as you've
> observed.
>
> JN

If I copy libc.so.6 to /lib, then tools complains about ld-linux.so.2.  If I copy
ld-linux.so.2, it then complains about "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol
"__stdoutp" referenced from COPY relocation in /usr/local/sbin/vmware-checkvm".  This is
pretty much the same as if I symlink the two files.  Even though I'm a "glass half-full"
guy, this is beginning to look dire (but it's the worst thing to happen to me, I'm sure
I'll live).  Still, it would be nice to get this working.

believed to be clean.