make not working gmake works

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Mon Feb 18 15:09:38 UTC 2008

Am Montag, 18. Februar 2008 16:02:34 schrieb navneet Upadhyay:
>      I have a Makefile . It works well with Linux versions when i use make
> command.The make command fails on FreeBSD but gmake works fine.
>
> Any clues on this behavior?

make != gmake on *BSD. BSD-make (i.e., make) is a completely different beast
from GNU-make (i.e., gmake). Generally, Makefiles written for one (except for
very simple ones) won't run under the other, and vice-versa.

man make

should get you started on the BSD-make syntax and its featureset.

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development