network not performing - where to start?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Feb 18 09:57:28 UTC 2008

Boldra wrote:

> I think ifconfig -a is saying that the os thinks the card is 100Mbit:
>
> ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>        ether 00:a0:0c:40:32:a3
>        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>        status: active
>

> So my questions are:
> How do I check the network performance from within freebsd?
> What other tools can I use to check for network problems?
> How can I check the network card is configured and working correctly?

It is not irrelevant which protocol you use to copy large files. Some
protocols has less overhead. Also, you may experience better performance
between bsd stations, if you can try set up two bsd stations to test
performance on different protocols, ftp, http, tftp, whatever.

I think the best I have had on a 10Mbit/s was 1Mbyte/s - that is about
80% is actually effective payload. Another thing you can do to get more
correct numbers is to use the packet filtering statistics.

Cheers, Erik