need help getting lpr/lpt working again.

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 15 21:41:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:47:30PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	People,
>
> 	Can anybody clue me in on getting my hp500 working?
> 	I don't care if I use CUPS or the old way with  lpd and lpr.
> 	There is no /dev/lpt0 in /dev, and /etc/devfs.* does  not
> 	create this file.

For future reference; the /etc/devfs.* files don't create devices. They
only set permissions and create links. Devices are created when the
proper hardware is detected by a built-in driver or a loaded module.

There have been several HP 500 printers over the years. There was the
original deskjet 500, or the designjet 500 plotter. What do you have?

What kind of connection does your printer have to your computer?
Parallel, USB or network?  Does 'dmesg|grep lpt' return anything?

> 	So, first question is: how to create /dev/lpt0, mod 0666/

Devfs should create it for you, unless you built a custom kernel without
the lpt or ppc or ppbus devices (for a parallel printer), or the
parallel port is switched of in the bios or malfunctioning.

If your printer connects via USB, you should look for ulpt devices instead.

> 	I've used /etc/printcap and postscript successfully for years.

It sounds to me that you problem is a bit earlier in the chain than
/etc/printcap.

Roland