Scripting sysinstall

Jeff Gold jeff.gold at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:42:35 UTC 2008

I'm having problems with sysinstall used from a script.  (Before you
ask, yes I've read the man page and yes I know sysinstall is "greatly
in need of death" but I've not yet found a plausible alternative.  I'm
all ears if you've got one to suggest.)  I'm using a custom built live
CD based on FreeSBIE and the script attached below.  When I invoke
this sysinstall certainly seems busy -- it claims to be unpacking the
distribution set I specified -- but it doesn't actually accomplish
anything.  No boot loader is installed and no changes are made to the
partition table.

I'm sure I've missed something obvious but I haven't been able to work
it out through searching the documentation on http://freebsd.org/, the
archive for this list or Google in general.  What am I doing wrong?

                                       Jeff

debug=true
ufs=/6.2-RELEASE
mediaSetUFS

disk=ad0
partition=all
bootManager=boot
diskPartitionEditor
ad0s1-1=ufs 1048576 /
ad0s1-2=swap 4194304 none
ad0s1-3=ufs 2097152 /tmp
ad0s1-4=ufs 16777216 /usr
ad0s1-5=ufs 0 /var 1
diskLabelEditor

dists=base kernels dict doc manpages ports
distSetCustom

installCommit
shutdown