Via EDEN Chipset?

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Fri Feb 15 13:27:19 UTC 2008

cpghost wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:40:52AM +0100, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>
>> Karl Denninger wrote:
>>

>>> I have an interesting little box here that *SHOULD*, in theory, look like
>>> an i386 PC to FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> It is using the VIA EDEN Chipset.
>>>
>>> Anyone tried one of these monsters?  Its one of the "mini-ITX" boards....
>>>
>> Which one? I got an EPIA EK 8000EG board and it works fine.
>>
>> Erik
>>

> Ditto with old EPIA-5000 mini-ITX boards with VIA EDEN:
>
> FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Jan 27 05:11:00 CET 2008
>     root at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
> CPU: VIA C3 Samuel 2 (533.36-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x673  Stepping = 3
>   Features=0x803035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,MMX>
> real memory  = 528416768 (503 MB)
> avail memory = 503152640 (479 MB)
>
> [...]
>
> Works flawlessly here :)
>
> Did you perhaps have special flags in /etc/src.conf?
> You shouldn't have anything there hat would let gcc
> generate cmov instructions, because VIA C3 / EDENs
> don't support the cmov instruction set.
>
> -cpghost.

No....

It loads off CD ok, but won't boot off PXE; it gets the kernel fine but
then blows right there.

The kernel I'm (trying to) use has SMP enabled, but that shouldn't
bother it..... other than that its pretty much GENERIC.

I'll see if I can build a kernel that will boot it cleanly off the
network - it does work off the CDs, so apparently the chipset itself is
ok....

-- Karl