LDAP user authentication?

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Fri Feb 15 02:45:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

>  >I have googled for a very long time, but I haven't found any useful
>  > howto on this issue. Well, there is
>  > http://www.cultdeadsheep.org/FreeBSD/docs/Quick_and_dirty_FreeBSD_5_x_and_nss_ldap_mini-HOWTO.html
>  > but that seems to be a bit confusing an not up-to-date. I guess it
>  > _should_ be possible - and indeed very useful (especially combinde
>  > with Samba PDC and an easily maintainlable mail server). So please, if

I read through the link you gave. My first impression is:

- pam-ldap is used for authentication: allow the user to login to the
  machine

- nss-ldap is used by the system when it needs to resolve things like
  gid<->group name, user home directory, etc.

I will give it a try soon.

Though I am looking one step ahead, how to allow a user to
authenticate to this machine and not that machine, using the same ldap
directory.

Bests,

Olivier