Network Help

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Thu Feb 14 16:23:59 UTC 2008

At 09:50 AM 2/14/2008, Victor Farah wrote:
>Alright, I have the machine up to 6.3-STABLE #1 now.  I've changed subnets
>on the one card that pushes the traffic.  There is a run down of the
>machine now.  The machine is still having the weird network traffic
>problem of capping at around 100mbps and then dropping to 10~20mbps the
>next minute.  Any suggestions?
>
>em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
>         inet 192.168.X.X netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         ether 00:1b:fc:ef:34:de
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
>em1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
>         inet X.X.X.X netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast X.X.X.127
>         ether 00:1b:fc:ef:34:df
>         media: Ethernet 1000baseTX <full-duplex>
>         status: active
>plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
>lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
>         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

If your switch this system is connected to is managed, you can check the
ports these connect to for collisions of other issues.

When ethernet throughput degrades it can be caused by many factors like the
stream sending the packets slowing down, or transmit errors causing
retransmission of packets.  Often once there are errors, they grow
exponentially because of retransmission etc.

You should try to isolate the exact conditions you have when you see the
traffic flow degrade.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.