what happened to linuxflashplugin?

Jonathan McKeown jonathan+freebsd-questions at hst.org.za
Thu Feb 14 07:11:15 UTC 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008 00:14, Erik Osterholm wrote:
> > IMHO, for an individual to state that Flash is not a relevant issue
> > simply because they choose not to employ it, is similar to patient
> > claiming that cancer research is a waste of time simply because they
> > are not afflicted with the condition.
>
> Bad analogies are like a leaky screwdriver.
>
> All throughout this thread, there have been people mixing up issues.
> It's true that Flash is used on many, many websites, but one of the
> earliest "complaints" I saw regarded Flash-only sites--sites which
> require Flash in order to navigate.  These sites seem fairly rare.  It
> is manipulative and misleading to argue that because so many sites
> /make use of Flash/, then /Flash has become an integral part of the
> web/.  I browse with Flash disabled all of the time, only enabling it
> specifically when I need it to use the web site.  It certainly
> happens--but it's not a constant thing.  I'm aware that Flash content
> exists on the pages I view, but most of the time it's supplemental,
> and the page degrades quite nicely without it.

This is the best summary of the issues I've seen in this thread.

One last time, because we're going round in circles:

I don't have a problem with people putting in the effort to get Flash working:
I'd be even happier if Adobe would do it themselves; but there's not much
that Flash is essential for, and to claim that ``half the entire Web'' is
unusable without Flash, seems somewhat overstated. There are many sites which
degrade, more or less gracefully, in the absence of Flash, but, like Erik, I
don't come across many that are completely unusable.

In fact, browsing with Konqueror, I have more problem with Java, faulty
Javascript and AJAX than with Flash.

I still haven't seen any comeback on the accessibility issue: is it really the
case that banks in the USA (for example) have websites that are not
accessible to a section of the population, and that this isn't covered by the
ADA? (I'm not trying to score points here: I'm genuinely interested).

Jonathan