Trying to recover data from FreeBSD 4.11 system

Joe Demeny jd1987 at borozo.com
Thu Feb 14 06:08:40 UTC 2008

I have an old Cyrix computer which doesn't post any more.

It had 3 hard drives. The boot drive had the / partition as well as /usr
and /var, and the other 2 drives were configured with Vinum RAID 1 for /home.

I hooked up what used to be the boot drive in a new system and it showed what
looked like some hex numbers and then the error message "BTX halted".

So, I installed this drive as the second hard drive in a FreeBSD 6.2 system
and I tried to mount it, but I got "incorrect super block".

Looks like I have /dev/ad1, /dev/ad1s1, /dev/ad1s1c, and /dev/ad1s1e.

Is there a way to mount these filesystems?

--
Joe Demeny