Some ideas for FreeBSD

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Feb 13 23:49:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:11:29AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

I think you're overlooking a major drawback of having less "mindshare",
though.  As more hardware vendors finally start to "see the light", and
release open source drivers, they have a tendency to follow the licensing
model Linux uses because that's the open source OS with which they're
familiar.  That means that, a dismaying percentage of the time, we don't
get BSD-licensed (or similarly permissively licensed) drivers.

I, for one, am not pleased with this state of affairs.

> As for attention from Adobe, doesen't it bother you to use a free OS
> merely as a platform for running commercial software?  How about
> ditching the commercial software completely and using free open
> source tools on the free OS?  That's what FreeBSD is all about, honey.

In theory, I'm with you.  In practice, I have the Linux Flash player
plugin and Neverwinter Nights installed on this laptop (both from FreeBSD
ports) -- neither of which is open source.

Believe me when I say I wish they were both released under a copyfree [1]
license.

[1]: http://www.copyfree.org/