what happened to linuxflashplugin?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Feb 13 22:00:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:25:05AM -0800, Andriy Babiy wrote:

> > > Hah! Good luck... I never got it work either, There are
> > wrappers all
> > > other barriers to stop you. And even then it may only work
> > > intermittently. Correct me if I'm wrong guys
> >
> > I hear you. I have used both Firefox and Opera and have never gotten
> > flash to work as easily and consistently as it does under
> > Windows. When
> > the added burden of having to use wrappers, etc, it is just not worth
> > the hassle. I have seen references to system linking files to make
> > flash work; however, I have better things to do than invest huge
> > amounts of time attempting to get something to work when it is already
> > technologically possible to do so without all that individual
> > intervention.
> >
> > It does seem rather ironic that we claim that FreeBSD is a
> > superior OS
> > to Microsoft's Windows; however, we are unable to get even a
> > common web
> > add-on like flash to work reliably, consistently. Finger
> > pointing does
> > not alleviate the situation.

Finger pointing is somewhat relevant.   It is not a specifically
technical problem, but one of politics - the unwillingness of
the flash owners to release information or allow it to be built
for FreeBSD.      People can do some examination and create a
working alternative, but it will always be based on a guess and
not be able to be up-to-date without the real specs from the owner.

////jerry