[Request] HOWTO build LDAP server for shared address book.

आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:33:49 UTC 2008

,--[ On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:57:16AM +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I have never worked with LDAP but I would like to install an LDAP
| server on my server and share my address book on it between all the
| programs I used daily, I searched a lot on google but I couldn't find
| anything except the one on ubuntu[1] which I'm not sure it'll work...

LDAP is a real cool protocol offering a hierarchial directory like
facility. You can store anything in that directory, from user accounts,
to your GPG keys to address book to email aliases, anything for which
you're able to write a schema. You'll enjoy working with it :)

| Could someone please help me building this address book, I really need
| it but I have no idea how to do it on my own...

Install OpenLDAP server (openldap23-{server,client} or openldap24-{server,client})
from FreeBSD ports. And follow administrator's guide[1] to setup your
LDAP server. The "Building an OpenLDAP address book" article [2] at
ONLamp will guide you with setting up address book with OpenLDAP.

And you'll also like to try out phpldapadmin for managing LDAP directory
over web :) .