what happened to linuxflashplugin?

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:06:27 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:16:31 -0500
> From: gerard at seibercom.net
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: what happened to linuxflashplugin?
>
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:55:45 +0000
> Da Rock  wrote:
>
>> Hah! Good luck... I never got it work either, There are wrappers all
>> other barriers to stop you. And even then it may only work
>> intermittently. Correct me if I'm wrong guys
>
> I hear you. I have used both Firefox and Opera and have never gotten
> flash to work as easily and consistently as it does under Windows. When
> the added burden of having to use wrappers, etc, it is just not worth
> the hassle. I have seen references to system linking files to make
> flash work; however, I have better things to do than invest huge
> amounts of time attempting to get something to work when it is already
> technologically possible to do so without all that individual
> intervention.
>
> It does seem rather ironic that we claim that FreeBSD is a superior OS
> to Microsoft's Windows; however, we are unable to get even a common web
> add-on like flash to work reliably, consistently. Finger pointing does
> not alleviate the situation.
>
> --
>
> Gerard
> gerard at seibercom.net
>
> Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.  I have come to
> realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
>
> 	Ronald Reagan

I would suggest that since adobe have specifically stated that is not licensed to run on bsd then there could be code to actively sabotage its running. Microsoft have done the same with ASP - can't run ASP and PHP on IIS together and ASP is not meant to run anywhere else (I know apache has something, but a lot of direct support has been outlawed it seems) so there is active warfare on OSS.