Random driver for insanely old hardware

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Feb 12 04:07:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, User Ota wrote:

> I have a question, just out of totally pure curiosity about one
> particular piece of hardware.
>
> Today I was browsin around Value Village (big giant thrift department
> store in Canada) here in Sudbury, and I came across A "GCC Technologies
> UltraDrive 50R", SCSI based and external -- from 1990.
>
> Now here's the maybe not so wierd part: only 1 out of like 4 hits on
> Google showed up as the UltraDrive 50R 50 Meg Removable Hard Drive,
> using Ricoh optical removable hard drives.  I'm a fan of finding old
> computer stuff, and running legacy machines just to see what it was like
> and just for fun.
>
> Anyways, my question is: I cannot find ANYTHING whatsoever on the
> internet about this product.  Out of pure curiosity, was there ever a
> driver available for FreeBSD; or, if you can comment, linux kernel?  I
> just really wanna know. :P

GCC is still around as http://gccprinters.com/.  There's very little in
their support base about the Ultradrive, but they may have more
information by email.

Other than finding cartridges, the question is going to be whether the
drive can handle writing all on its own, or whether it needs an external
driver.