Handbook out-of-date after csup/buildworld

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:54:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:54:15 +0200
Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions at hst.org.za> wrote:

> I have a machine which was initially installed from CD (including the source
> tree). It's subsequently been updated with cvsup, and latterly csup, and the
> make buildworld/make kernel/make installworld sequence described in the
> handbook.
>
> I noticed last week that the handbook on this machine ``covers the
> installation and day to day use of FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE and FreeBSD
> 5.3-RELEASE'' (it's actually running 6.3-RELEASE).
>
> Should the handbook be updated as part of building and installing world?

No.  It is another tree.

> If so, what am I likely to have done wrong?
>
> If not, what do I need to do to get the handbook (and presumably the other
> documentation) updated?
>
> (I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that there's a method of updating the
> installed documentation without grabbing the doc-all sup collection,
> installing the documentation tools package from the ports tree, and building
> it all from scratch).

You are correct here.  The documentation tools package is quite large
and only needed if you are creating documentation.

Docsnap is another method using the net/rsync port to pull in
updates.  Some information on usage is at
http://docsnap.sk.freebsd.org/ .  Its really quite easy.

HTH,
Randy