Server getting crashed, any helpful comments?

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Feb 10 19:25:35 UTC 2008

At 03:37 AM 2/10/2008, VeeJay wrote:
>Hello
>I am running a Freebsd server:
>
>1. Software:
>Apache 1.3
>mysql 5.0.27
>php 4.4
>

>2. Hardware:
>2 intel procerssors
>4 gb ram
>RAID 10 with hard drives 15K rpm
>
>I am having this problem quite often now. Apache stops responding due to
>mysql (my guess). And I cannot connect to mysql server:
>
>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>error: 'Out of memory; check if mysqld or some other process uses all
>available memory; if not, you may have to use 'ulimit' to allow mysqld to
>use more memory or you can add more swap space'
>
>There is following configuration for mysql:
>
># The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
>[client]
>port            = 3306
>socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
>default-character-set=utf8
>
># Here follows entries for some specific programs
>
># The MySQL server
>[mysqld]
>port            = 3306
>socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
>skip-locking
>skip-networking
>skip-name-resolve
>
>server-id=1
>
>max_connections=1000
>key_buffer = 1024M
>max_allowed_packet = 16M
>table_cache = 512K
>sort_buffer_size = 4M
>net_buffer_length = 64K
>read_buffer_size = 4M
>read_rnd_buffer_size = 4M
>join_buffer_size=4M
>
>myisam_sort_buffer_size = 128M
>
># increase until threads_created doesnt grow anymore
>thread_cache=512
>
>query_cache_type=1
>query_cache_limit=2M
>query_cache_size=64M
>
># Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
>thread_concurrency=4
>

>set-variable=local-infile=0
>init_connect='SET collation_connection = utf8_unicode_ci'
>init_connect='SET NAMES utf8'
>default-character-set=utf8
>character-set-server=utf8
>collation-server=utf8_unicode_ci
>ft_min_word_len=2
>ft_max_word_len=15
>
>log-bin=mysql-bin
>
>server-id       = 1
>
>[mysqldump]
>quick
>max_allowed_packet = 16M
>
>[mysql]
>no-auto-rehash
>default-character-set=utf8
>
>[isamchk]
>key_buffer = 256M
>sort_buffer_size = 256M
>read_buffer = 2M
>write_buffer = 2M
>
>[myisamchk]
>key_buffer = 256M
>sort_buffer_size = 256M
> [...]

You don't mention what version of FreeBSD you are running or what kernel
(custom or generic.)

The first things I would do is to be sure you are on the latest production
release version of FreeBSD which would be 6.3 and use a generic kernel if
possible.  Then I would update the ports you using that you suspect are
causing the lock-ups.  Specifically update your apache, mysql-server and php.

Once you have all the latest software running, test to see if the problem
persists.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.