should I change to multicore CPU??

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 9 21:57:00 UTC 2008

Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>  I know that freebsd7 has huge improvement on multi-threading
> execution. I wonder if I upgrade to 7, would I feel it?? I now own a
> amd64/3400+, running 6.3. It's just personal use, download files,
> watch movies, etc. I guess it will be faster on multi-core when I run
> mencoder to encode movie, but aside from that, will it mike much
> difference to me?? thank you!!

No, if you don't need any of the new features in 7.x, you won't feel a
difference for the described operations. You don't have enough CPUs or
enough programs that do multithreading operations together with IO to
notice any difference at all.

Some people say they can feel the difference in desktop applications
because of the new ULE scheduler, but I very much doubt it, probably a
psychological thing :)