Problem with makemap and hash tables

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu Feb 7 23:19:23 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 18:08, Doug Hardie wrote:

>> I am just under 300K lines in that map at present.  While I have
>> always wondered where hash was going to break, I hadn't found the
>> limit yet.  However, the time to build the hash table is extremely
>> large with that many entries.  I ran some tests a couple months ago
>> using btree for the map type (subject was 'Map size').  I didn't
>> test over 300K entries, but it sure built the maps a whole lot
>> faster.  You might try that and see if it builds or not.

I just ran some tests using the BTREE method.  I was able to build a
database with 1,000,000 entries.  It builds successfully and I can
read all the entries in it.  I believe that BTREE must also have a
limit, but haven't found it yet.  I doubt I will need to past a
million records though so its now academic.