pxeboot, TFTP only, NFS MOUNT RPC error: 60, timeout

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Feb 7 22:08:35 UTC 2008

Rek Jed wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've been building FreeBSD jumpstart infrastructure and it mostly
> works.  I'm using tftp  to boot off the network in to scripted
> sysinstall.  I compiled the boot loader with tftp support but every time
> I boot it will first try nfs, then timeout after around two minutes (it
> cannot find nfs) and finally boot from tftp.  Is there any way that I
> can make it boot from tftp straight away rather than wait for nfs to
> timeout?
>
> This is how I build the boot loader:
>
> cd /usr/src/sys/boot
> sudo make clean
> sudo make LOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=YES
> sudo cp i386/pxeldr/pxeboot /jumpstart/tftpd/boot/pxeboot.0
> sudo cp i386/boot0/boot0 /jumpstart/tftpd/boot/
> sudo cp i386/boot2/boot1 /jumpstart/tftpd/boot/
> sudo cp i386/boot2/boot2 /jumpstart/tftpd/boot/
> sudo cp i386/mbr/mbr /jumpstart/tftpd/boot/

Hi:

I wrote the howto refered to in other reply, it's a while ago I played
with this, but I have no reason to think that much has changed on the
6.x branch, I have just tried 7.x and build of the loader this way fails.

As I understand the documentation, enabling TFTP disables NFS, they are
exclusive.

When building the loader make sure that your source tree is clean and
/usr/obj is empty, or it won't work. I recall this puzzled me a long
time until I found the trick. I don't think it is enough to do make clean.

Second, I did

# cd /usr/src/sys/boot
# make -DLOADER_TFTP_SUPPORT=YES

ok, as said, it's a while ago I played with this, they may have
introduced support for the usual way of stating options.

Cheers, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard
Ph: +34.666334818                           http://www.locolomo.org