Nvidia graphics on AMD64

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd at milibyte.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 13:22:58 PST 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008, I wrote:

> I'm contemplating building a system around an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU. I'm
> not into games and overclocking so a relatively low end motherboard with
> integrated graphics should suffice. I've been looking at a few specs, many
> of them use Nvidia chipsets and I understand that there isn't a Nvidia
> graphics driver for FreeBSD on the AMD64 platform.

Thanks to everybody who replied to my enquiry, your comments have helped to
fill some gaps in my knowledge on this matter. It looks like the xorg driver
should meet my 2D requirements quite well. I was under the impression that I
would need to install the AMD64 version of FreeBSD for an Athlon 64 but I now
understand that since I'll only have 1 or 2 GB of memory I might just as well
use i386 in which case I'll have the choice of using either the xorg or
Nvidia driver.

--
Mike Clarke