OT: www search engines

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Feb 7 17:29:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 07:41:07PM -0600, Erik Osterholm wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 08:32:44PM -0500, Jonathan Franks wrote:
> >    On Feb 6, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Erik Osterholm wrote:

> >    Then there's the issue of spam and spam blocking.  Google does a great
> >
> >    job of blocking spam.
> >
> >    Really? I can't say that I've had the same experience. I'd say that 80
> >    percent of what ends up in my inbox is unadulterated spam.
> >    I still use it for similar reasons as you, but I can't agree on this
> >    point.
> >    -Jonathan
>
> That's pretty interesting.  I started keeping statistics on my spam
> count becuase it was so rare.  Since I started using Gmail (shortly
> after they launched), the most I've gotten in a month is 4 spam
> messages hitting my inbox.

I assume that the reason I get more spam on my regular account than
on my gmail account is that my regular account is pointed to by all
the mailto: links in my web page and that my regular account is the
one subscribed to all the various lists I am in.   Those show up
in archives in various places.   Whereas I never give my gmail account
to anything and rarely even give it to friends.   In spite of that
obscurity, my gmail account still gets a small amount of spam regularly.

////jerry