script to be executed on system startup.

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed Feb 6 14:23:12 UTC 2008

At 08:09 AM 2/6/2008, navneet Upadhyay wrote:
>Hi,
>       I have a script file, i want that script to be executed on system
>startup.
>
>  I am doing this on Linux in following two steps : -
>
>1. Copying the script to /etc/rc.d directory.
>2. /sbin/chkconfig --add "scriptname"
>

>I want to achieve the same on FreeBSD
>
>chckconfig file is not present, documentation says i have to add it to
>rc.conf file.
>
>How can i add it to rc.conf file, is there any command?

You don't need any command.  Depending on the version of FreeBSD, put your
script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and if you are using earlier than 6.X FreeBSD
name the script chckconfig.sh

You can name it in the same in 6.X and 7.X and it will work.

Be sure the script is chmod'd (usually 755) to execute.  Since your script
runs without a known environment be sure to either use full pathnames for
executables or set the path in your script.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.