OT: www search engines

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Wed Feb 6 11:06:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:36:54AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> address.  If your ISP is willing to give you up to anyone who asks,
>> I'd be worried about more than just Google.
>>
>> What are the laws in your country like regarding this?
>
> in our funny country - Poland - law encourages all ISP to record
> everything, but the same law doesn't have any punishment for doing so.
>
> it's actually law created for those who like to monitor everyone, changing
> what would be otherwise crime - to requirement.
>
> As i'm a small ISP myself, i should record EVERYTHING my users transmit.

IANA(P)L, but if Poland implements the EU data retention directive
2006/24/EC, its laws should only require ISPs to save connection data,
i.e. who communicated with whom and when (source-ip:port, dest-ip:port,
time stamp), and who got assigned which IP, but not the data itself
(the payload):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention

The main purpose being to enable law enforcement agencies to do
traffic analysis and mass surveillance in our brave new Orwellized
1984-esque world.

In most EU countries, ISPs are NOT (yet?) required to save the payload
itself; and may even be prohibited to do so under privacy / data
protection statutes without special overriding court order. As an ISP,
you should *really* check with a specialized lawyer and err on the
side of caution. Laws can be tricky, wherever you operate.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/